Not together, of course.
Lentils are a good-for-you legume that is easy to prepare, and difficult to mess up. Here are my basic instructions for fabulous lentils in a crock pot:
- bag of lentils
- 4-6 cups or so water or broth, depending on how soupy you want it
- 1-2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
- about 2 cups diced carrots
- about 2 cups diced celery
- one chopped onion
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- one leftover ham bone
- a cup or two diced leftover ham
- one really good squeeze of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce (squeeze must last a good 5 seconds)
- couple shakes of oregano, basil, Lowry's Seasoning Salt, blackening spices, etc.
- a scant tsp. of brown sugar
Put into a large crock pot, and cook on high for 7 hours or until lentils are at the desired mushy-tensity.
The kids love it with cornbread and honey.
And what do kids who eat all their lentils get for dessert?
Ice cream cones, of course.